Sunday 11 January 2009

Approaching law exam

So tomorrow afternoon I have to sit my media law exam. I am not happy about this for several reasons.

1-That revision is seriously eating into my television watching/going out time.
2-None of said revision seems to be going in
3-In a real journalistic environment-we would always be able to consult a book, a colleague or a lawyer.

So to me it seems pretty pointless having a three hour exam on things that off the top of my head I am not really going to need to know,-especially since at the level to which i will eventually enter the profession, all my work will be viewed by at least sub editors.

It also seems to me that practically everything published could be viewed as defamation anyway and that anything juicy can be covered in an exemption of one of the varying laws. It is so annoying.

And it makes me hope that nobody reads my blog since I could definitely be sued for some of my comments-although considering I'm only a student with no money the most they could get off me would be my GHDs, so maybe not a big problem.

 

1 comment:

Mr. Nighttime said...

It's the same in many other professions. I was in nursing school for a time, and we were forced to rote memorize so many things that, in the real world, we would consult a medical reference book for if we were working in a hospital.

Same goes for being a paramedic. As an example, in NYC, you have to memorize the medical protocol book for both standing order and and medical control order drugs that you would give, when it comes time for your oral licensing examinations. Never mind the fact that you have a small portable book that you carry around with you with all these same things when you are actually working so that you don't have to memorize it.